MOLY COATED PROJECTILES GOOD OR BAD ?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
tonyb

MOLY COATED PROJECTILES GOOD OR BAD ?

Post by tonyb »

Hi all , need some advice or surgestions on moly coated pills ,
I have a model 94 in 30-30 , mainly use it for stuffing around and knocking roos over at about 100 yards , shooting tins around the camp and so forth...
Have been useing 125 grn sierra hp and 34 grns 4895 (2206H ADI) , those projectiles cost me about 50 bucks AU for a 100 , its a bit dear for fooling about , whilst at my gunsmith the other day he gave me a BIG box of 165 grn hard cast moly coated pills for the 94 , said try em and have fun , cant find any load data and have read some posts about moly pills both good and bad ,

any thoughts ?
cheers Tony.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Re: MOLY COATED PROJECTILES GOOD OR BAD ?

Post by Wrangler John »

I was just reading this article:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/?s= ... mit=Search

I have the equipment for moly coating, and have used it, but as it says in the article the moly will combine with atmospheric moisture to create acids (probably sulfuric acid because of the sulfide content). Main benefit seems to be reduction of throat wear with the coatings. Throat wear kills barrel accuracy before the rest of the bore wears out.

Boron nitride is less toxic than moly, it is used in cosmetics, cleaner and easier to remove from the barrel. Also, it isn't as messy as moly. The same equipment is used to apply it - a vibratory tumbler and either steel shot or ceramic media. The article notes that it is so slippery that bullets are difficult to pick up.

I am going to order some and try it. However, if you just want to try it without buying all the stuff, David Tubb offers bullet coating for $.05 a bullet:

http://davidtubb.com/tcom_images/dtac/d ... ating.html
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

tonyb: Although I shoot some varmint caliber bullets coated with tungsten disulphide (Danzac), I would not waste my time coating or messing around with bullet coatings with the caliber you intend to shoot. With the velocities involved, it will be a waste of time and effort. Bullet coatings are best used on smaller caliber, high volume, high velocity calibers for such things as PD or ground squirrel shooting. The benefit for these coatings is more shooting between cleanings.

There will be little benefit for using moly or any other coating on a caliber such as the .30-30 Winchester. The effort involved just will just not show any gains at the target, for the rifle, or for you. Just my experience.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

tonyb

Post by tonyb »

Thanks for the info guys , loaded a few up with various loads and will see how they go .

cheers ,Tony.
tonyb

Post by tonyb »

Hi all , for those that are interested this is what i found with the moly coated hard cast projectiles in my 30-30,

22 grns 4064....... 1280 fps :(

25 grns 4064....... 1450 fps :|

28 grns 4064....... 1800 fps :)

I am actually useing ADI 2208 , you guys in America may not have heard of it but it is the only decent powder that is available here in Tasmania , By useing their powder equivelents chart , it compares with IMR4064 or VARGET.

There was a lot of residue left in the barrel after shots , dunno if it was unburnt powder or i suspect it was the moly coating off the bullets.

I loaded a few more up at 26.5 grains and will chrono them, they will probably do for ( plinking )

cheers , Tony.
Sidewinderwa
.204 Ruger Guns: Savages

Post by Sidewinderwa »

You will probably need to increase the powder with the moly bullets to get the same speed as a naked bullet. Be sure you clean the barrel out well before you use the moly bullets as the moly will coat over the brass and lead in the barrel.
Please, no Sidewinder today!
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

Sidewinderwa wrote:You will probably need to increase the powder with the moly bullets to get the same speed as a naked bullet. Be sure you clean the barrel out well before you use the moly bullets as the moly will coat over the brass and lead in the barrel.
In addition...I would scrub the moly out every 800-1000 rounds or so and re-apply. Moly for sure (and maybe the others too) has a reputation of building up a donut ring in the throat over a period of time. I've never experienced this personally but have known others who did and it took some considerable effort to scrub it out. As far as humidid weather and corosion goes, I live in the rainy Pacific Northwest and have never experienced that issue but now days I do scrub the moly out if the rifle is going to be idle for a while.

HTH,
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

After season, I always scrub my WS2 coated bullet barrels down to bare steel, lightly oil and put away till next spring. I live on the arid high desert at the edge of the forest, but like Jim, never had a problem with moisture and the coating.

I've acquired a few more rat rifles since I started using WS2, and I have not used coated bullets in any of them, as none of them foul to any extent or are hard to clean up after 30-50 rounds or so. Sometimes it's just not worth the extra effort to shoot coated bullets in some rifles. "If it ain't broke......." :chin:

But I'll be the first to admit that the .17 caliber and very fast bullets are a perfect match for WS2, moly and like coatings. The stuff is amazing in my .17 Mach IV.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Rick

Have you tried Ultra bore coat, or have any opinion on it?

I have a 17 rem super 14 barrel on the way, will be my first 17 CF cartridge....

Thanks

Allen
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

hemiallen wrote:Rick - Have you tried Ultra bore coat, or have any opinion on it?
I have a 17 rem super 14 barrel on the way, will be my first 17 CF cartridge....

Thanks, Allen
Allen: No, have not tried Ultra Bore Coat, so can't offer any opinion, sorry.

Good luck with your new build. If/when you get tired of that caliber, give the .17 Mach IV / .17 FB a whirl. It almost equals the 17 Rem with about a third less powder, recoil, blast, etc. Just something to consider down the road. For now, lay in a good supply of 25gr V-Max's, and don't look back. ;)

.17 Mach IV's freshly formed, neck turned and annealed, loaded with WS2 coated 25gr Berger's, on the bench in the field during fireforming on squirrels. (Hey, it's winter, we're bored!):

A study of terminal performance with this bullet & caliber at a muzzle speed of 3,860, and a very unlucky squirrel outside his mound at 268 yards:

Just imagine it as a ".17 Remington Lite"........ :lol:

Do you plan to coat bullets for your .17 Rem?
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

hemiallen
.204 Ruger Guns: Rem 204r, 20vt one Sako-one Cooper, 17FB 17HH, 17JAVALENA

Post by hemiallen »

Thanks Rick

Looks like the mach is a little anemic at distance ( lol), got frost this morning so no squirrel activity for awhile.

I am anticipating cleaning the barrel and UBC coating it along with a 223 VS I just got , 90's generation in the grey H$S stock... can't have too many vermin rigs.

I did look at a 6.5 x 284 today at a price I can't pass up, and all the 142 smk's were coated so I may get some coated bullet experience in the future. Only problem is the gun is 9# and I think I need to add a brake or add lead to the buttstock/ forarm to hopefully get to see a 400 yd+ hit....

But I do have an itch for a 6br in a cooper..... if they were only heavier.

Happy new year

Allen