Whats your Work Up Method

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Trent
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 SPS Varminter

Re: Whats your Work Up Method

Post by Trent »

Is it necessary to "break in" a centerfire prior to beginning load testing?
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Shilen says after inital ten shots and cleaning after every round then clean every five rounds. At this time it is a goood time to test load workup!
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

When I started loading for my .204, I had a bunch of Winchester 748 powder on hand for my ARs and started out using it....I do get a difference in accuracy between standard and magnum small rifle primers in my .204s...

When working up loads, I will find the bullet manufacturer's published max load and drop down one full grain and build a series of ten rounds each in .1gr increments with the bullets seated the same length, normally their listed max and find the best group....generally it will be .4-.7gr below published max load....

If, for some reason, there isn't a really good group out of the bunch, then I will start tweaking the seating depth...based on the best that showed up...While it's an older target, the one below was my first attempt with my AR and over the years, it's proven to be consistent, so I don't change a thing...

AR
Factory/Factory
Valar
.204 Ruger Guns: AR-15

Post by Valar »

Nice group , I have win 748 as I started with it loading my 308 It is interesting how various burn rate powders group. Even some I would not think would. I am going to try some 748 load workups when the sping warmth hits. As of now I am seeing same hole groups with 10 x, But perhaps 748 could be more consistant. We Have only a bit of time to try! Nice Shooting Thanks