first loads from new unfired brass

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
adam

first loads from new unfired brass

Post by adam »

Hi all, I have finally got round to trying some new Nosler loads with Hornady unfired brand new cases. No problems just that I noticed that they seemed a little tighter than normal when opening the bolt. I was not near max loads. Could it be because they are opening up to my rifles chamber for the first time?
Regards
Adam
' Your here for a good time, not a long time'
Hotshot
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage and ar-15

Re: first loads from new unfired brass

Post by Hotshot »

Upon firing your cartridge case should expand to the exact dimension of the chamber. The bolt should not be hard to lift unless you have added pressure to deform the brass. Usually signs are seen around the primer area. Excessive dirt or a badly out of round chamber could make hard extraction but would be the same for factory loads as well as your reloads.
Can you post a picture of some fired cases? Show us the head of the case as close as you can focus.
mzimmers
.204 Ruger Guns: none yet

Post by mzimmers »

adam wrote:Hi all, I have finally got round to trying some new Nosler loads with Hornady unfired brand new cases. No problems just that I noticed that they seemed a little tighter than normal when opening the bolt. I was not near max loads. Could it be because they are opening up to my rifles chamber for the first time?
Regards
Adam
I'm not sure I understand: were these finished Nosler cartridges, or Nosler components that you assembled?

Were the cases tight when you closed the bolt, or only when you opened it?
sidesy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remy Varmint

Post by sidesy »

hi, did you F/L size the brass ?
R7 Rapid S .22 , P.Wilson thumbhole AWT, CZ 452 .17 HMR MTC Viper 56mm / Ruger 10-22 Hawk red dot / Dedicated Ruger 10-22 NV / .223 Remy PSS 4200 tac 6/25 x 50 / .243 Remy Varmint Leup 8.5/25 x 50 mark 4 / .204 Remy Varm. Bettinsoli diamond 12g
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

BACK OFF THE LOAD TO THE MID RANGE, FOR THE POWDER AND BULLET.SEAT THE BULLET TO RECOMMENDED OAL SPECS.CLEAN THE CHAMBER AREA AND IF YOU CAN,EXAMINE WITH A LIGHT AS BEST YOU CAN.AFTER FIRING,EXAMINE THE CASE WITH MAGNIFICATION, FOR ANY SCRATCHES ON THE BODY,AS WELL AS THE HEAD.CHECK TO SEE IF THE PRIMER IS FLATENED.IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS,HAVE A GUNSMITH BORE SCOPE THE CHAMBER.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Joe: Why are you "yelling"? On internet forums, all caps usually means "enthusiastic exchange", i.e. "yelling". Is your cap lock stuck? :lol:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Post by Joe O »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Joe: Why are you "yelling"? On internet forums, all caps usually means "enthusiastic exchange", i.e. "yelling". Is your cap lock stuck? :lol:
Rick
Early in the morning,I'm liable to do strange things.Sorry.Actually I wasn't yelling,just poor eyesight.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

No worries Joe.....just had to make sure you were awake. I've been known to do strange things in the morning too....... ;)
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails