Forster die issues

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
TD-Max

Forster die issues

Post by TD-Max »

A couple years back I had problems with my Forster Full Length sizer die and sent in my shell holder and 22-250 FLS die to Forster. I was having problems with denting the rim as the brass tipped in the shell holder. I was also having difficulty with breaking decapping pins as things just would not line up. I haven't done much 22-250 since then, but recently started with the 22-250 again. Once again I ran into trouble. The decapping pin apparently contacts the primer before everything gets centered as I have broken another pin and jammed the shank into a pretzel. I've done numerous 204 Ruger (thousand plus) without issue and also some 243 and 260 again w/o issue. Anybody else run into similar issues or have any helpful advice?
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in .204 with Leupold VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR
Sako VLSS Set Trigger in 22-250 with Swaro Z5 5-25x52 BRX and turret
Sako Stainless Synth in .260 with Swaro Z5 3.5-18x44 BRX
Ruger MKIII 678GC with Ultradot Matchdot
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Forster die issues

Post by Rick in Oregon »

One way to prevent bent pins and decapping rods is to align the stem in a case when the pin is actually in the flash hole. Finger tighten the decapping stem there, then check again as the expander ball is centered in the case neck prior to pulling it all the way out. Only tighten when it's perfectly aligned in the case neck.

This method assures axial concentricity and once done, seldom needs to be adjusted again. I like to leave my stems just a tad lose in order to center perfectly in the case neck upon withdrawal of the expander ball. If the ball is not perfectly centered, it can/will draw the case neck out of axial alignment and create accuracy woes. HTH
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Spoke with Forster and I'm sending the die and 5 pcs of brass in to them to test/repair. I really think their shell holder could do a better job of holding the brass from rocking for and aft. My guess is that this is a multi part issue:

1) the brass is allowed to rock and should not be

2) the original incident probably bent the stem

3) the decapping pin is a bit longer than necessary. It protrudes further than my other dies (204, 243, 260) and is the first thing to contact. Playing with an open piece of brass I find that I can move the brass enough to catch the decapping pin on the egde of the flash hole. If the ball were to contact first it would align the casing/stem more securely.
OldTurtle
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage mod. 116 and Custom .204 AR

Post by OldTurtle »

TD, You don't indicate if you are using a Forster Co-Ax press or not.... If not and you are using a "C" or "O" type press, then I would think your shell holder is out of alignment with the die... That could be hard to correct if it happens to be sprung just a little.... Since everything seems to work with the .204s, I'm guessing you may have a slightly off-center die...and Forster should catch that..

About the only time I break de-capping pins is when I accidentally let a piece of military Berdan primed brass sneak through the cleaning process...
AR
Factory/Factory
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Sorry, yes I have the Co-ax press. Smooth as glass and I love it.

Rick mentioned the potential for pulling the necks crooked. If my die has been off/bent stem this could explain the Howa accuracy issue. Then again, the bending seemed to be confined to below the sizing ball.

So from here I suppose I should give my brass one more trip through the sizer just for grins once I get the die back?

Also, I guess I did not send the die to them in 2007. They just sent me a new decapping pin and honed the shell holder.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Well I wadded up another stem yesterday :mad: Been working fine, went to work a piece of once fired Winchester brass and crunch. Decapping pin broke into numerous pieces and the stem bent below the expander.

So here is where I take things into my own hands. It seems obvious to me that a major part of the issue is that the decapping pin hits the primer (or the case head) well before the expander ball aligns the case with the die. I managed to get the stem to what resembled straight and robbed another decapping pin from another die. I clipped the decapping pin back a bit (the 22-250 protrudes much further than my others) and tried it. I thought I would have success, but this one crumbled too. This may be a case of an off center primer pocket, but at least I have a plan for when my new stem arrives and I also have a stem with no decapping.

Is there a practical way to decap only?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

TD-Max wrote:Is there a practical way to decap only?
Yes, use a Universal Decapping Die. It does nothing else but decap.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Universal decapping die is on my Wish List waiting to finalize my next order!

I can clearly see where the decapping pin hit off center inside the case head.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

Did some more checking with my 204, 243 and 260 dies. ALL of these other dies have the expander ball entering the neck BEFORE the decapping pin hits the primer. Guess my course of action is clear. I also plan to purchase a unversal depriming die so I can deprime and measure brass for headspace measurement.
TD-Max

Post by TD-Max »

New stem and extra decapping pins arrived yesterday. Trimmed the decapping pin back so it hits after the expander and die align the brass and all is well so far. I did nearly 200 of my fireformed Remington brass as well as the Winchester brass that wadded it up last time. Looking inside I could clearly see where the pin had hit the inside of the case head. No problems whatsoever... So far.

I also looked at why the brass can rock in the Forster shell holder. The 22-250 rim is thinner than the 260 brass that I compared it to. The 260 holds nice and firm, but the 22-250 can rock.