Hornady Lock-N-Load Quick Change Bushing System

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
giterdone
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12LRPV-Savage 12VLP-T/C Encore SS all in .204 Ruger

Hornady Lock-N-Load Quick Change Bushing System

Post by giterdone »

Has anyone out there ever made a loaded round comparison (concentricity) between using the Hornady L&L bushings in their press and just screwing the die into their press? I like the easy in and out using the L&L bushings but I have never compared the two methods. Once in a while I use two different presses, one with L&L bushings and one without; but they are set up for two different calibers. It seems to me that screwing two seperately machined pieces and the die into the top of the press might allow for possible mis-alignment problems? I prefer the forums IMHO not Hornady's. :shrug:
John Moses Browning made the west safe for Winchesters
Joe O
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage LRPV,Ruger K1V,G2 Contender

Re: Hornady Lock-N-Load Quick Change Bushing System

Post by Joe O »

I've loaded thousands of rounds on my Hornady LnL Progressive in the past 12 years,but they have all been pistol rounds.I feel that precision rifle rounds can be produced,but a couple extra steps and equipment would be necessary.I would deprime my brass seperatly and uniform/clean the primer pocket.Move the powder measure to the hole next to the primer station,(you could hand prime and use a neck die without the decaping assembly installed) and install a powder check die next in line.Use only ball powder in cases smaller than 6mm,and wait slightly longer for the powder to completely drop.You can then check the run out,compared with other screw in presses.All threaded dies have some play in the threads.The Hornady and forster seating dies have a sliding sleve that captures the bullet and aligns the case neck,before the bullet enters the case.I will try some .243 Win and let you know,otherwise I'm on a single stage for rifle.