7mm Mag Question

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Bitman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF

7mm Mag Question

Post by Bitman »

Can I effectively load the 7 mag down to 7mm/08 ballistics using a 140 grain bullet.
Does anyone have any experience doing this?
I just don't like the heavy recoil any more, getting old I guess. :lol:
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 7mm Mag Question

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yes you can...just use a starting load for the bullet weight you want to use. Don't ever use less slow burning powder than shown for the starting loads though, otherwise detonation can/may occur that can/will destroy the firearm and possibly the user.

Just stick to a recent manual and you'll stay out of trouble. By the way, my 7mm-08 Improved is one of my favorite deer/antelope rifles....great little caliber. Keep the 140gr at around 2,800 - 2,900 fps and it will definitely do the deed on any deer that walks the planet.

Like you, older now and the heavy recoil can be saved for the young ones that still need to prove how macho they are.....I don't need it either. In my 40+ years of killing deer, not once have I ever needed a magnum to do it. But again, that's just me.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Bitman

Post by Bitman »

Thanks Rick,
Nosler has loading data for the 140 grain BT at around 2900 FPS.
I bought this 7 mag. in the early 70's right out of high school. Had to have it then. :?
I haven't shoot the gun in years, so I thought I'd work up a lighter load and start shooting it again.
Gotta keep the cobwebs out of the barrel.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Of course, another way to moderate ballistic performance in a 7 mag is to increase bullet weight.

Now I know that was not your question, but having sky high BCs in a 7 mag really allows for radical performance enhancement at long range and reasonably good accuracy.

Here are bullets (shown with .30 175 HPBT on far right) and a 100 yard development target from my 7 WSM on a Model 70 CFA:

Largest brass bullet on right is 180 Berger VLD match bullet. Primer was Fed Magnum LR Match. Chrono showed a touch over 2900.

BTW, I got over confident and pulled the last shot on the right target. 1000 yard squirrels anyone? :) Have 22x SN-3 and 3 groove lilja on that one.
Bitman

Post by Bitman »

I was always under the impression that if you increased payload "bullet weight" you'd increase the recoil.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Bitman: You are correct. The Laws of Physics are strictly enforced......... ;)

Critter is discussing increased long range performance.....not what you inquired about. For what you intend to do, I'd stick with the 140's with a nice mild starting load in the Nosler or Barnes manual that will give .270'ish performance, with non-Seven Mag recoil.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ACLakey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage .204 Predator Hunter(soon)

Post by ACLakey »

You might also look at a 120gr bullet such as a Nosler BT or Barnes TSX and reduce the velocity some what. Those are outstanding deer bullets and you will have even less felt recoil. Nothing wrong with the 140 bullets, but if you are really looking to reduce recoil the 120 may be something else to concider.
Critter
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger #1B .204, Ruger 77/44,

Post by Critter »

Rick in Oregon wrote:Bitman: You are correct. The Laws of Physics are strictly enforced......... ;)
Of course, Rick is correct. However, given the performance of these high BC bullets and the relatively mild recoil of the 7mm WSM when compared to .30 RUM or similar. Also, the 18# weight of that rifle helps a lot.
TONK
.204 Ruger Guns: I own a .204 Ruger & 25-06 Ruger!

Post by TONK »

My take on any particular caliber, is just not go below what the reloading manual states. If a certain rifle "kicks" to much for the shooter, than let that shooter or hunter invest in a recoil pad and that will solve all problems for the sum of around $25 to $35 dollars. I have 2 vest with recoil pads sewn inside them and believe me they are a real life saver when shooting big guns from the bench or a lot of shooting from .270 or 30-06 caliber rifles.

I was told years ago "Treat your reloading manual like your Bible" NEVER add to it and NEVER take away from it Never. Those were indeed words spoken by a very wise man and excellent gunsmith and machinists.
I never try to shoot MAX loads, as they are hard on the gun and where hunting is concerned, really not needed to bag your trophy. I try finding a good load, that will give enough velocity but still let me load those cases several times more down the road. :)
Thank a VET for your Freedom!