150gr E-tip load data for the 30-06

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
ACLakey
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage .204 Predator Hunter(soon)

150gr E-tip load data for the 30-06

Post by ACLakey »

On a recent trip to Nosler I picked up a pile of .308cal 150gr E-Tips and am going to start loading them. I can find next to nothing as far as load data goes for them, anybody suggest a place to start with say H4350? From their shape they seem simmilar in size to my 165gr Accubonds or BT. I was thinking about starting with 165gr load data and working up...any thoughs or experiences?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: 150gr E-tip load data for the 30-06

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Andrew - Give Mike Harris a call at Nosler....he'll give you complete loading data for that bullet. Mike's worked there for decades, in charge of customer service, and REALLY knows his $hit, believe me. Just use their 800 number from the website.

As you know, it's not necessarily a good idea to use bullet weight alone to work up a load, as all bullets have different bearing surface lengths, jacket thickness and makeup that all affect pressure. Best to use load data developed specifically for the bullet in question. :D
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ACLakey

Post by ACLakey »

Thanks Rick, I will give him a call. I am very interested to see how these shoot and perform on game I am just at a loss for where to start. I don't want to shoot them up just trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Good show...those E-Tips perform just about like a Barnes Tipped Triple Shock X-Bullet (TTSX), and are most likely the type of bullet we'll all be shooting eventually as the enviro's and liberals gain more ground. The good thing is.....all these monolithic bullets perform as advertised!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

ACLakey

Post by ACLakey »

I shot several loads today with H4350 and H4831SC and I am less than impressed with the 150gr Etip. I saw the pressure signs with similarly loaded 165gr accubonds and BT and the velocities were similar as well. Pressure signs occurred around 2800-2850fps which is less than I have seen with other 150gr bullets in this rifle. Accuracy was not all that great printing an average (5) shot group around 2"-3" with all loads, the best load was right at 2". I will be loading some other powders for the next range visit but with these results I may have a couple hundred Etips for sale in the near future. For less than half the price I can shoot 165gr Innerlock into MOA groups and they have killed just fine for me the past 20 years....some times I should not tinker.