matchking 4 hunting?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
cracker

matchking 4 hunting?

Post by cracker »

I shot some federal premium 308 win. and they performed outstanding in my new Remington vtr. I want to start reloading for this gun but I want a hunting round not a paper round. my question is will the sierra matchking be an ok bullet for deer.
Sportingly
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: matchking 4 hunting?

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Most match bullets are FMJ or HP's, and as a FMJ, are illegal in most states for hunting. However, a friend who shall remain unnamed in a midwestern state shoots his whitetails every year along with his buddies using their .300WM Senderos from 700 yards atop a hill using 190gr .308 SMK's and slay their deer virtually every year sitting on their BR Pivots. I call it deer shooting, not deer hunting, but they harvest their deer every year with Sierra Matchkings.

In the end, it's just up to you, but the bullet will work if placed in a vital area every time.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

cracker

Post by cracker »

Thanks RIO
I like the accuracy and try to put all my shots were they count. I think I will work up a load then do the phone book test to see if I want to use them deer hunting (deer shooting)
Sportinlg
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Keith in Ga

Post by Keith in Ga »

My Remington LTR really likes the match bullets, but for hunting, I load the Sierra 165 gr Gameking. It is almost as accurate, and does a real number on deer.
My buddy with the Sheriffs Dept (sniper) has killed a lot of deer with the matchkings (Federal match ammo), so I know they will work. I just feel more comfortable shooting the gamekings.
ImageImage
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

In regard to the SMK's, let's just say that the below combination is one of those "which eye should I shoot him through?" questions...... 'Nuff said? (my 'M40A2' 7.62 NATO w/Federal Premium 168gr SMK's & Lupy 3.5-10X M1 LR Tactical w/Mil-Dot)

Of course, I'd never knowlingly break any laws.......... :wink:
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

300 gr 338 caliber SMK's do rather well on deer as well....so far...all the way to 1209 yards - one shot kills..and they are dead on impact.
cracker

Post by cracker »

Thanks guys for the info. I think I will try them until they fail me and the deer. RIO I think if the are facing north I will shoot them in the left eye and if they are facing south the right eye. the west would be the chest and well the Texas heart shot if the are facing east. LOL
Cracker
Sportingly
cracker
Jim White
.204 Ruger Guns: CZ-527, Remington 700 VLTHSS

Post by Jim White »

cracker wrote:Thanks guys for the info. I think I will try them until they fail me and the deer. RIO I think if the are facing north I will shoot them in the left eye and if they are facing south the right eye. the west would be the chest and well the Texas heart shot if the are facing east. LOL
Cracker
Bullet placement is paramount but on deer I'd feel comfortable, but on larger game I'd make sure I could put the shot on a dime or I wouldn't take it with a SMK.

But, thats just me...