powder measure

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

powder measure

Post by steve »

Who makes the best powder measure?
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: powder measure

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Best? Probably Culver or Harrell if you can afford them. For the money though, you can't beat a Redding BR-30 or BR-3, depending on what you're loading (under 50 grains or over 50 grs). They come with a micrometer adjustment for the drum, and each has a baffle to keep the powder column pressure equal on the drum at all times.

I've used the RCBS Uniflow for over 40 years, have some on my progressive pistol press and keep one handy for large rifles that burn 60+grs of powder, but for precision handloading for target or varmints, the Redding is the clear choice unless you want to spend over $200 for a Harrell.

Just my opinion, and you'll get more different ones.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

steve
.204 Ruger Guns: rem 204 lvsf

Post by steve »

Rick is the only difference between the br3 and the br30 the amount of powder it can throw.
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Yes, I'm about sure that's correct. I primarily use the BR-30 for 90% of my handloading chores in my varmint rifles. The Uniflow's can't hold a candle to the accuracy/repeatability of the Redding.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

The BR-3 micrometer adjusts from 0.5 to 100 grains. Add a baffle to the BR-3 and you will be set.

I use two RCBS on the bench, with powder baffles, and micrometers.

Also like the Hornady, pre lock-n-load though. Micrometer adjustment + powder baffle works rather well.
Bitman
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF

Post by Bitman »

How does the Redding BR-30 work with powders like H-4895, H-4350, and Varget.
I bought the RCBS Chargemaster Combo. It is very slow and throws a couple 10ths of a grain over the preset load quit often. If the BR-30 will consistantly and accuratey meausre the above mentioned powders, I'll sell my RCBS and get a Redding. I have close to 2000 rounds to load for my Wyoming trip.
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

ALL powder measures bring us to "close" with any kind of stick powders, including the "short cut" varieties.

In all reality, the one measure that does a good job on stick powders, a Dillon when used on the 550B. The movement of everything helps shake, rattle, and roll the powder everytime, and this tends to put very close to the same charge in the case.

I prefer to use Benchmark or short cut powders in the Dillon still.

2K to load....ugh. :)
BabaOriley
.204 Ruger Guns: Dtech AR

Post by BabaOriley »

I've been dreading the thought of loading up 1000 for prairie dogs coming up. Pretty sure I WON'T be trickling each one. I only have a Lee PPM, and it isn't bad, but up til now I've only used it to get me within .2 grains, then trickle the rest of the way on a balance beam scale. I've tried loading ten to twenty in a row using a steady rhythm, and still, it seems to drop -.2 to +.5 grains on one or two out of ten. The under loads are no problem, but I don't want to have to stay half a grain off max because my powder measure might drop a heavy one. I would be satisfied with one out of twenty dropping +.2 grains, but not +.5 grains. So I'm left wishing I had an RCBS Chargemaster, or at least a Redding BR-30 to drop more accurate charges without trickling.

Who knows, I'm still waiting on an accu-shot rear monopod so I can ditch the bags. Once (if) I feel comfortable with that, then I have (50) 34gr dogtown loads ready to test fire. Maybe I'll find the most accurate load is .5 grains off max, and be able to just use what come out of my powder measure with no worries, still checking about every 20, and maybe 5 in a row every 100. If I could have 1 shot out of 20 that flies an inch high because it's got a .5gr heavy charge, I'd be fine with that. In a target rich environment, I don't want to be that picky about my loads. If it's coyote loads, I'll stay very picky about precision.
BabaOriley

Update:

Post by BabaOriley »

Last night I did some math in my head on how long it would take me to hand load even (500) .204 rounds by dropping a charge from my Lee Perfect Powder Measure, then trickling each one up to the exact charge. Even at 1 per minute, (500) would take 8+ hours, and I don't think I could average 1 per minute for 8 hours straight. It would probably take more like 12 hours at the bench.

Now let's say I didn't really need to be that accurate for prairie dog loads, yet did want to stay .5 grains away from any charge that might be unsafe. (The Lee drops a +.5 heavy charge maybe 1/20 rounds. Powder also leaks from the joint where it swivels.) Since Lee doesn't make a drop tube for this measure that fits the mouth of a .204 case, I bought a Satern funnel. The only problem with the funnel, is where the aluminum cone meets the brass drop tube, there's a slight ledge that fine pieces of powder get stuck on. This requires having to wiggle, or flick the bell of the funnel with your finger to make sure it shakes loose, and you get the whole charge. I plan on trying to fill this ledge in with some epoxy, but about every 10th charge of a stick powder gets stopped up in the funnel anyway, so I may not be able to escape that problem. I figure I'd still be at 30-45 seconds per charge using this Lee measure and funnel. Minimum 6 hours per 500. Cost ~$30-40 for the measure and the funnel.

I've been eyeing a Redding BR-30 powder measure for a long time, but have not been able to justify the price. (~$160-180) Last night I was about to "bite the bullet" and order one. My reasoning was if the Redding is more accurate, I may be able to trust it to drop within +/- .2gr and not have to weigh so many of them. Plenty good for prairie dogs. Another HUGE advantage of a Redding or RCBS powder measure, is you can get a 4" clear drop tube that fits a .204 case (Sinclair $12.50+shipping). This removes the need for a funnel on every charge. Just push the case mouth up to the tube mouth and drop the charge. Since it's clear, you'll most likely see if there's a log jam before pulling the case away and getting powder all over your bench. I think they could make the case mouth fitting more shallow to allow you to see this even better. So the Redding BR-30 with a 20cal drop tube. Probably THE fastest and most accurate way to do high volume powder charges from the research I've done. I'm guessing 1.5 hours to charge 500 cases to within +/- .2gr. Cost ~$180-200 after shipping for the measure and drop tube to fit .204.

$200 just seems really expensive for a manual powder measure, considering it really isn't going to be more than .1gr more accurate than a $20 Lee. It will surely last longer, as the Redding isn't made of plastic, but I could buy a Lee every year for 10 years before having $200 in them. For $200 the thing should have a button you press that has a motorized actuator pull the lever for you, making it the exact same motion every time. It should also have a vibrator on it like Dillon does.

Today I have an RCBS Chargemaster Combo on it's way from Natchez Shooters Supplies. I've been eyeing one of these for a couple years too. I saw one in a store with $285+tx on it last fall, and said the next time I get in there with that kind of money it will be mine. It's now $335 in their catalog. Natchez has it for $289+shipping, it may not save me time on the volume loads, but surely will on load development having to change the charge all the time for small batches. Also, being the geek that I am, it's just really cool, with the green backlit display. It has an auto mode, where it will start filling the pan when you set the pan back on the scale. It sounds like some seat the bullet while the next charge is filling the pan. I think this one may be back up to the 500 charges in 6 hours, but at least I can do something else with my hands waiting for each charge. It should also be more accurate than most any manual powder measure. Cost $308.03 after they charge forced me to accept their 1.5 pound catalog, adding over $1 to the shipping charge. Oh, and $2 for insurance which I believe is included free depending on the carrier.

Hopefully if I can fix the little ledge my powder is hanging up on in my 20cal funnel, I won't have to shake the funnel each time I drop a charge. I'll write up a little review on this thing when I get it, maybe get you some video of my process in the coming months. I just hope I never get to the point where I feel I need one of these...

I see the price of matches is on the rise. :roll:
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Redding Model 3BR for Sale

Post by Silverfox »

I realize this isn't the classified section, but there seemed to be some interest in buying a Redding 3BR or BR-30 indicated in this thread, so I'll list it here. I do not have this measure listed anywhere else, so you all will get first chance.

As for accurately throwing charges with this device, you can throw pretty accurate charges if you can get a consistent rhythm going. For colony rodent shooting, this is the tool I used for all my reloads. It worked great for me.

This is a Match Grade Model 3BR Redding powder measure with the universal (rifle) insert. This measure throws charges from 5 to 100 grains with the universal (rifle) insert. I'd like $100 plus shipping for this measure. I have the original box it came in and the papers that came with it. I bought it new and it has never been abused. It is is excellent condition.

I also have a Herter's bench stand that I had this powder measure sitting in on my bench I'd sell for $20 plus shipping. This powder measure stand is probably worth a bunch of money as an antique!!! :mrgreen:

I am not interested in trading for something else. Payment should be via US Postal Money Order. The best way to get in touch with me is via e-mail. You can e-mail me at:

Catch ya L8R--Silverfox
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

I don't have a Satern funnel so your description of powder hanging up is going right over my head.

I've noticed fine powder hanging up in my cheapo plastic funnels. Reached inside with my VLD chamfer tool and got rid of the annoying ledges inside. Perhaps you could do the same.
If theres a ledge on your drop tube just remove and chamfer it.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
BabaOriley

Re: Redding Model 3BR for Sale

Post by BabaOriley »

Silverfox wrote:I realize this isn't the classified section, but there seemed to be some interest in buying a Redding 3BR or BR-30 indicated in this thread, so I'll list it here.
I probably woulda taken yours before spending $300 on the fancy electronic gizmo I have coming... I may want a better manual powder measure anyway if the volume loading isn't much faster with the Chargemaster. If I could drop +/- .1, even .2 and be done with it, that'd be fine for prairie dogs...
BabaOriley

Post by BabaOriley »

jo191145 wrote:I don't have a Satern funnel so your description of powder hanging up is going right over my head.
Where the aluminum funnel meets the brass part that fits over the case neck, there's a very small gap between the two that I often check and find 1-2 kernels. I'm thinking of putting some fast setting epoxy in that and rotating it for 5 minutes so it dries smooth, filling the gap. Could even sand that down once it dries if it sets up too high.

Last edited by BabaOriley on Wed May 06, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverfox
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12VLP purchased in June 2004 + 2 other custom .204s

Post by Silverfox »

BabaOriley--I'm usually a day late and a dollar short on lots of these messages, but if you are interested after you play with your fancy electronic gizmo, let me know.
Catch ya L8R--Silverfox