RCBS die trouble

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
majcl5

RCBS die trouble

Post by majcl5 »

I am reloading my friends .223 for him and he has a RCBS (i am a redding guy) and i took brand new brass lubed them and the first one i tried was really hard to press in and then got stuck , and broke the belt . So then i got brass out tried the next one and dito did the same thing. 20 years of reloading never had a brand new die and brass do this . Any help or suggestions? Do I have to use a small base die set for a semi-auto?
May Your Barrels Be Hot & Your Smiles Plentiful
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Hawkeye Joe

Re: RCBS die trouble

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

My sticky case issues always were lube related. I ditched the One Shot and now use the good ole RCBS lube pad.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

All of the dies have an rust inhibitor sprayed in them. The inhibitor that RCBS uses seems to be especially good and hard to remove - carb cleaner will be your new friend.

Remove the decapping assembly, spray some carb cleaner in, let it dry, spray a shotgun bore mop with carb cleaner, chuck it in a drill (low speed), and start cleaning.
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Years ago, an old gunsmith friend told me to throw away all the commercial lubes and try mineral oil. I have been using it since the mid 60's. The nice thing about it is that it will dry and does not need to be wiped dry, unless you are going to shoot the ammo in the next day or so. It also does not effect the powder when lubing the inside of the necks.

I use an RCBS pad and it only needs to be refreshed about once a year.

Lenard
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

What i cant firgure out is its the same lube i always use and have never had trouble. And its brand new brass they should size like butter. Sportsmans said they would give me instore credit i will see if its the die that is the problem.

Thanks Guys
Rem 700 VLSS .204
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I never had a problem unless i didn't lube.. go figure!!
futuretrades
.204 Ruger Guns: HOWA 1500 .204 Ruger Varmint, Bull Bbl, Lupy 6-18x40 custom

Post by futuretrades »

i have to agree with acloco. do like he said and clean the inside of the die out. i have also found carb cleaner to be a friend, for cleaning up a lot of things. also make sure you have enough lube on the pad. after sitting for a while, i have found my pad has a tenancy to dry out, even if it feels like it is good to go. also, make sure you lube those necks. i have switched to imperial sizing wax, and haven't looked back. i still have my lube pad, although i don't really know why. :shock:
NRA Benefactor Life member
HOWA 1500 Varmint 204 Ruger, Bull Barrel, Hogue Overmold Stock, Leupold VXII 6-18x40mm AO LRV Custom Reticle Timney Trigger
Cooper Mdl 21 20VarTargW/Leupold VXIII, 6-20x40AO Varmint Hunter reticle.
majcl5

Post by majcl5 »

Thanks guys i will see what i can do
Rem 700 VLSS .204