243 varmint loads

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

243 varmint loads

Post by Gube »

I was going to ask this question on the "243 for deer loads" thread, but didn't want to steal the thread. I've recently purchased a camoed Tikka lite (stainless) in a 243. I wanted it in a 204 but wasn't available. I've never owned a 243 before and figured I just had to have one. I don't need it for deer as my 270 win takes care of that aspect. I've found a ton of reloading info on the net but I know the guys on here are extremely knowledgable with reloading so was wondering if anybody could throw out some info my way. I have some 62 gr varmint grenades and some 55 gr sierra bk's. I see Rick likes to use the 70 gr BT's. Just wondering what powder / bullet combinations to try. I see varget, H-4895, H-322, IMR-4350, RL-15 and benchmark are quite popular. So far the factory stuff has been about 1/2" out of that skinny barrel and looking forward to do some "roll your owns" to tighten up those groups. So far I really like this T3 lite. Super smooth action, accurate, and nice and light for a calling rifle. As soon as I see one in a 204, I will be "snapping" it up.
Savage Vaporizer
Verminator2
.204 Ruger Guns: DPMS 24" stainless fluted.

Re: 243 varmint loads

Post by Verminator2 »

I've been shooting an 87 Vmax in my .243 AI, it's awesome. It has a BC of .400 and it isn't too horrible on fur going 3200. The lighter weights (55,58) are supposed to be good on fur, lots of guys are pushing them 3800-4000 with good luck.
Bomb Squad: If you see me running, try and keep up
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

Gube: You're right, I much prefer the 'mid-range' weights in the .243W for all my varmint chores in the 6mm bore size. I use 70 or 80gr BT's in both my .243W and .243AI, and have scored on PD's past 800 yards with the Ackley version using the 70gr BT in Montana.

To me, using the very light-for-caliber bullets makes no sense (55 grainers), unless it's the only varmint rifle you own and really want exploding rats inside of 250 - 300 yards. With the light bullets, you're sacrificing BC, thereby shedding velocity very quickly and not getting much long range capability. A 70gr BT launched at say, 3600 fps will easily catch up to a 55gr BT launched at 3800 fps inside of 300 yards.

The 70's, or weights in that range have excellent BC, good long range performance, easier on the barrel because of less than warp speed, are usually much more accurate, and still give explosive results on varmints from the size of ground squirrels or PD's, to coyotes. As you already have some 55's & 62's try them of course to establish a benchmark, but do try the 70's or 80's at extended ranges, and you'll most likely agree with me that they're a much better choice in the .243W for varmints.

For powder, try Varget, 4350 and others in that burning rate range. H414 has also worked well for me in the six mm bore.

On your Tikka, a friend and varmint/big game guide here in Oregon bought one in .270 Win. He liked it so much, he now has SIX of them from varmint calibers, all the way to a .300 Mag. Sweet rifles to be sure, and a very fine rifle for the money they ask for them. He had only heard of the 204R, and when my crew and I showed up at one of his squirrel ranches with ours, and once he saw how they performed on distant rats, he told me that caliber was the next that was to be added to the collection.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Hi there guys. I am new here on this site, but have lots of experience with an accurate 243. I for one reason or another, started out loading 75 gr. Hornady bullets. I use 46 grains of H 4350. I am shooting a HB Sako with a factory barrel that is much more accurate than me. The load, when I am shooting my best, shoots under 1/2" at 200 yards. Actually better than at 100. The trigger is set at 14 oz and relatively easy to shoot.

By the way Rick,I am a resident of W. Oregon and have hunted rats and chucks a lot over the last 18 years.

Lenard
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

Thanks for the info guys. It does make more sense to use the mid-weight stuff for the better B.C.'s. for those loooong distance shots. It's to bad they don't make the varmint grenades with a ballistic tip to improve the B.C. on them.
And by the way, welcome to the site Lenard. The guys here truly have a wealth of information and it's like one big happy family over here. :mrgreen: Have you gotten the 204 bug yet or do you just use the 243 for varminting? Sorry for stealing my own thread, but if anybody else has any more info in regards to the 243 feel free to post away.
I definitely will be trying out the 70 and up ballistic tips.
Just need to put my order in at sinclairs for some dies. I will probably go with the "Redding Competition Series" as they are my favorite with the 204.
Savage Vaporizer
Lenard
.204 Ruger Guns: 700 Remington

Post by Lenard »

Gube, I only shoot the 243 at the longer ranges. My usual is a sako with a douglas barrel in 223. I actually have a Mini Mauser in 223 also. I just bought a 204 in stainless with standard barrel in 700 Remington. I have been quite disappointed in it as it was shooting about 1 1/4" groups. After much time spent on the gun, I came up with two things wrong. One, the recoil lug was not having full contact with the stock. The second problem was the right side of the stock in the tang area was higher than the left side. After hogging it out with my dremel, I glassed both the recoil lug and the tang.

That stopped all the verticals I was getting. It would shoot two with the holes touching and the third would be anywhere from an inch to 1 1/4" high.

The weather has been so darn nasty, that I have not been able to get out and shoot it again. I am anxiously waiting for things to get better with the weather before I go shoot it again.

Thanks for asking.

Lenard
Hawkeye Joe

Post by Hawkeye Joe »

My 40 year old Browning/Sako .243 came with this load data. 44.8gr IMR4350, Win primer and case, 85gr Sierra SPT. This is the load my friends father used for long range Woodchucks back in the 70's.
Hawkeye Joe (Mike)
Savage model 10 Predator, 3-9 Nikon Omega
07 LRPV, 35X45 Leupold Competition

glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I used to use 40.0 of 4064 with Sierra 60s on our local groundhogs, no need for long distance stuff around here. It worked, and shot very well, but didn't set the world on fire. At the time, it was two grains UNDER max, but I suppose it's over max in current loading manuals. That was in an older Ruger 77R.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
Ryan S Albright
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 204 Ultra Light, Ruger 204 Standard, Ruger Target Gray

Post by Ryan S Albright »

I used 70gr bullets for years but had good results with 87gr on down. I now use 65gr Vmax with W760. I get good groups with little recoil. I have made 500 yrd shots with the 70gr bullets on squirrels I have not had a chance to try the 65gr Vmax out this far but hope to soon.
tckurt
.204 Ruger Guns: T/C Encore

Post by tckurt »

My 243 loves H4350 with Hornady 87hp and Speer 105sp
Varget does very well with the Hornady 58 VMax.
FireBallGuy
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger

Post by FireBallGuy »

Have loaded many 243 win cases and one of THE best powders for this round is Varget. My brother in law and nephew both shoot 243's and either 55 grain ballistic tips 58 grain Vmax's 70 grain ballistic tips on occassion and thier ONLY powder of choice is Varget. Have seen these guys make make clean kills at absurd distances using light bullets.....I am talking 600 yards and it rather blows me away!!! I am well aware that heavier bullets are better at extended range but if you have a bullet powder combo that your gun REALLY likes do not let anyone tell you how poor a choice you have made. Just my 2 cents worth.
Remington Model 700 SPS 17 Remington Fireball Nikon Buckmaster 6-18X40SF, Remington Model 700 VSF 204 Ruger Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO, Savage Model 12 FVSS .22-250 Remington Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24X40AO