cost of reloading the 204

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
varmitslayer
.204 Ruger Guns: savage model 25

cost of reloading the 204

Post by varmitslayer »

what is the cost per bullet to reload the 204. I have never reloaded and pretty much have no clue. any suggestions on powder bullets etc. would be greatly appreciated. this forum is awesome. btw I ordered the lee turret press. good or bad????
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: cost of reloading the 204

Post by acloco »

chuckhunter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Model 25 thumbhole, Savage Model 12

Post by chuckhunter »

WOW, That is too cool........Thanks!
Bunnybuster
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger No. 1

Post by Bunnybuster »

I figure it is runs between 25 and 30 cents per round, to load for the 204, or around $6 for a box of twenty. Locally 204 factory ammo is around $18/ box. So, I am saving a third, or acutally shooting three times as much for the fun tickets I spend.

If you are a casual shooter, and don't shoot much, it would be hard to amortize out the cost of the dies, press, and scale required to start relaoding though.

The advantage of reloading is you can develop loads for your guns, using the bullets you want to shoot the things you want to effectively. The loads I shoot in my deer and elk rifles, are not available commercially.

And, I enjoy the time puttering around developing new loads and doing the test firing at the range.
JD11
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 Varminter low profile

Post by JD11 »

btw I ordered the lee turret press
Hopefully you ordered the newer Classic model. It's a MAJOR improvement in many ways over the older turret.

Personally, I think a guy saves mucho bucks by reloading. Not that I'm old, :) but I started reloading in about 1970. After dropping out of it for a number of years, I was absolutely amazed to find out about 8 years ago that a set of dies cost the same as they did back in the early '70s. Considering what a dollar buys now compared to then I'm surprised a set isn't way over $150. Like a guy said about some other machined components, it must have to do with faster, better quality production machinery, etc.
varmitslayer

Post by varmitslayer »

Bunnybuster wrote: If you are a casual shooter, and don't shoot much, it would be hard to amortize out the cost of the dies, press, and scale required to start relaoding though.
right now I am a casual shooter but only because I can't justify $1 a shot at pdogs. but for .20 to .30 I can cause some severe damage. I was going with a 17 for that reason then my wife surprised me with a 204. Have to take back all the bad things I said about her.
Wrangler John
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage Precision Target/Shilen Custom

Post by Wrangler John »

Cost of reloading, or in my case loading - as I rarely purchase factory ammo - is offset by intangibles of knowledge, experience and accomplishment. Developing your own accurate cartridges is a separate hobby with just as much satisfaction as shooting and hunting.

If you eventually add cobbling up your own rifles from actions, barrels and stocks, then you have it all. I am working on a rifle based on a Savage Precision Target action, a varmint contour Shilen Savage Replacement Barrel, and a semi-finished Sharp Shooter Supply stock, in .204 Ruger of course. I have been tinkering with rifle building since high school, and these new Savage actions make barreling and swap barrels something the average mechanically inclined individual can safely accomplish without a machine shop.

If you look at it from the stand point that you are also investing in developing knowledge, skills and abilities, then the costs are cheaper than most college courses. My wife says that at least I don't drink or spend time at saloons, and she can always find me in the gun room loading or tinkering. She even told be to spend more on a scope, because I shouldn't skimp when a few dollars more will buy something better! In your case, your wife did you a favor, probably out of love, and that my friend, is worth more than all the doodads in Cabela's catalog.
Gube
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage VLP and BTVSS. Tikka 3 stainless & grey laminate

Post by Gube »

I don't save any money. I just shoot a heck of alot more without feeling guilty about it.
Savage Vaporizer
varmitslayer

Post by varmitslayer »

Gube wrote:I don't save any money. I just shoot a heck of alot more without feeling guilty about it.
that will probably be the case here also but don't tell my wife
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Post by Rick in Oregon »

[/quote] In your case, your wife did you a favor, probably out of love, and that my friend, is worth more than all the doodads in Cabela's catalog.[/quote]

Wranger John said it all right there. Congratulations on the new toy, and welcome to the forum!
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

Captqc
.204 Ruger Guns: Cooper Phoenix .204

Post by Captqc »

Varmitslayer, if my wife got me a .204 I'd die of a heart attack! :eek: Wanna trade? :idea: Please send picture of the .204! :wink: :lol: Gary
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

Wrangler John wrote:
My wife says that at least I don't drink or spend time at saloons, and she can always find me in the gun room loading or tinkering. She even told be to spend more on a scope, because I shouldn't skimp when a few dollars more will buy something better! In your case, your wife did you a favor, probably out of love, and that my friend, is worth more than all the doodads in Cabela's catalog.
Please have your wife call mine and explain some things to her.
varmitslayer

Post by varmitslayer »

My wifes the greatest. She had me convinced to buy a 17 hmr because of cost. Then surprises me with the 204. The first time she has ever been able to surprise me with a gift without me finding out before hand. I also have a couple 22s and 2 30-30s one a pre 64 model 94. I haven't had a good varmit gun for almost 15 years when I sold my 220 swift and a couple other guns to go to school. With prairie dogs being very plentiful around here it has been driving me crazy. I just kept putting off getting a gun. Now the dogs and yotes can get nervous. I'm glad I found this site and hope I can contribute.