45 ACP

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
jo191145

45 ACP

Post by jo191145 »

Contrary to my handle I've never reloaded for the 45 ACP or any pistol cartridge for that matter. The 204 is what convinced me to buy a press and all the other goodies.
Anyhow, While rushing to get out the door of the local gunshop before they locked me in for the night I mistakenly grabbed a box of CCI Large Magnum Pistol primers instead of the CCI -450's I wanted.
I could simply return them but now I'm thinking maybe I should just hang on to them and wait for the day to arrive when I decide to load for my 45. Poor thing just sits in the safe since I discovered how much fun small groups from a rifle are (Occasionally anyway)

To the point. Would magnum primers be overkill in the 45?
I sort of think so but I've not done any research on the subject.
Should I return them and buy two boxes of cheapo primers for the 45 or hang on to them? Thanx

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Re: 45 ACP

Post by glenn asher »

You sure don't need Magnum primers to ignite 4-8 grains of powder. :lol: Take them back and exchange them (if they'll do that) for some Winchester Large Pistol primers, or the Federal equivalent. I dunno how many rounds of .45 I've loaded, but it's upwards of a quarter million, at least. 17 years of IPSC and NRA Action shooting (3 times a week for matches alone, not counting practice and fun shooting!) will add the round count WAY up :lol: I quit about 10 years ago, after arthritis starting to take it's toll on my wrists, but I still fool around with my pistols, just not as much as "back in the day".
That number doesn't include the 9mm, .38 Super, 10mm, .38 and .357, .41 and .44s, and a few .40s, to see what all the noise was about. .45 Colt and Casull were in there, too, don't want to forget them............ Except for the Casull (which belonged to a friend) I didn't use magnum primers for any of them, and the Casull uses Small Rifle primers.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
jo191145

Post by jo191145 »

Thanks Glenn
Maybe I wouldn't need any powder at all using them :lol:
At $40.00 a box I'll return them.
I actually have three sets of dies for the 45 but never even learned how to use them.
When the day comes I'll need to bother you for wisdom.
My pistol skills are so rusty I probably couldn't develop an accurate load to save my life.
Your credentials are most impressive ;) Glad I asked.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

A pound of powder goes a long ways in pistol shooting, I always thought 231, HP-38, Unique and maybe a few other were all a guy needed (specialty stuff for the magnums), but I think I could pare it down to Unique, if I had to. Hodgdon's Universal Clays is much cleaner and does mostly the same things as Unique, though, and is pretty good in the limited use I've given it.
Tite Group is getting some play now, but I've not tried it. It would depend on what you were asking of the pistol, bullseye target shooting is completely different than IPSC, which is what I liked. Either way, good luck with your endeavors, it'll be a fun ride.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Post by acloco »

WOOHOO! Welcome aboard to pistolla reloading.

Everything is the same, a little different, and a little bit more as well! :)
skb2706

Post by skb2706 »

jo191145 wrote:Thanks Glenn
Maybe I wouldn't need any powder at all using them :lol:
At $40.00 a box I'll return them.
I actually have three sets of dies for the 45 but never even learned how to use them.
When the day comes I'll need to bother you for wisdom.
My pistol skills are so rusty I probably couldn't develop an accurate load to save my life.
Your credentials are most impressive ;) Glad I asked.
If at some point you decide you need to seperate yourself from one of those sets of dies for a good price....pm me and I'll send $$.

I load or have loaded for 27 different chamberings over 37 years. Oddly enough the 45 ACP is the only gun I never have loaded for that I own.
TC Contender Carbine
23" MGM Shilen SS barrel
Weaver KT15

TC Contender G2 Carbine
23" factory CM barrel
Mueller 4.5 x 14 Eradicator