6mm BR question.

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Va varminter
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 FV

6mm BR question.

Post by Va varminter »

I have a chance to get a 6mmBR barrel for my TC. I know it will shoot the light stuff all day long. I was wanting to get it for a heavy varminter/deer rifle. My question is this. How well does it shoot the 100gr. stuff? Both of my reloading manuals only talk about the light bullets. Would it be leathal on deer out to 200yds. or so?
http://www.fairtax.org
Election day can't get here soon enough.
jo191145

Re: 6mm BR question.

Post by jo191145 »

What twist is the barrel? Unless your keyholing there should be plenty of accuracy at 200yds

No personal knowledge but I'm sure it would drop a deer just fine with the proper bullet. Deer aren't as tough as some gunwriters might make you believe.
My Grandfather and Father harvested quite a bit of venison with a 25-20 Win. Never heard a tale of a lost deer. Gramps was gone before I was born but my Dad knew how to shoot. I can't remember a deer that did'nt get that 25 cal pill right in the heart though I'm sure there must have been some.
I also doubt they shot at running deer too.

I look at it this way. On average deer are the same weight as a human. I know I would'nt want to take a 6mm pill to the chest with hopes of surviving.
A strange way to look at it I'm sure but accurate I believe.

Savage VLP + NF 12x42 + 35 Bergers = .
skipper
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington XR 100, Custom build Lilja/Panda/Shehane/Jewell

Post by skipper »

Personally, I feel much more comfortable shooting deer with something .270 or better, but with the proper bullet and shot placement I wouldn't hesitate. The 6mmbr will certainly make a fine varmint gun. They are about as accurate as it gets.
Image Hold 'em & Squeeze 'em
graymist

Post by graymist »

The Custom Shop Encore barrel I have in 6BR is a 1-10 twist as I believe most of their 6mm barrels are. With a 100 grain bullets you can get 2700 fps. Reloader 15 has been very consistant in both velocity and accuracy. Varget also works well.
glenn asher
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12fvss, CZ 527 American

Post by glenn asher »

I'm not completely sure, but I think Nosler has an 85 gr. Partition available, and that would seem to be the berries for a 6BR. Mine was a slow twist, and shot great, but I never went that heavy, as I used it on PDs only.
Build a man a fire, and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life!