7mm Remington Magnum - What is your pet load?

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Drew Jaeger
.204 Ruger Guns: Remington 700 VSSF II

7mm Remington Magnum - What is your pet load?

Post by Drew Jaeger »

I'm doing some research on various loads for my new 7mm Rem Mag. ADI AR2225 (Retumbo) and AR2217 (H1000) seem to be the powders for the 7mm. I'm looking at testing Nosler 150gr Ballistic-Tips and 160gr AccuBonds, as well as the Barnes 150gr TSX (just to see what all the hype is about).

What is your favourite 7mm Rem Mag load?

Cheers

Drew

"Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
NuMatthu

Re: 7mm Remington Magnum - What is your pet load?

Post by NuMatthu »

Mate those Nosler 150gr B/T's are brilliant in my 7mm Rem mag. My pet load is 63.4gr of Re-22. Very very accurate.
22 Mag

Post by 22 Mag »

My best loads have come with Sierra bullets and IMR powders
For the 140gr SBT I use 4350
and for the 160 gr SBT either 4350 or 4831 one may work better in your rifle.
22 Mag
"Happiness is not having everything you want, but wanting everything you have"
Ray P
.204 Ruger Guns: 2-Rem 700 and Ruger#1 S/S

Post by Ray P »

Drew...I'd work with IMR or Hodgen in the 4350 or 4831 powders........Don't know how many shots in a row you plan on firing. Retumbo and H-1000 can foul a 7mm bore fast because they are slow and made for heavy bullets.
Hope this helps...........Barrel length is plus with slower powders too.........24-26" stay with the 4350/4831.....30" you can try H-1000 3 shot groups!
Later
Ray P
Life is an adventure and often to short. Make the most with family and friends. Shoot often and shoot a small hole. Love the 204 Ruger!! NRA Life Member
"We are never to old to learn"
Guy M

Post by Guy M »

Am a big fan of the 7mm Remington mag and have used it on critters from coyote to big bull elk. Over the years I've worked up several good loads but a favorite was given to me by the good folks at the Sierra Tech Line:

65 grains of Reloader 22, a Federal 215 mag primer, and their 160 grain SPBT Gameking bullet. I've found that I can also work up to this load with other 160 grain bullets. In several different 7mm mag rifles it has proven quite accurate, and develops 3000 - 3100 fps for me, depending on which rifle/barrel length. This is considered a max load, so please work up carefully to it. I use Winchester brass, trimmed and lightly prepped.

A similar but somewhat reduced charge of RE-22 and a 175 gr Nosler Partition, or SPBT Gameking will gin up nearly 2900 fps and makes an excellent long-range load with great penetration. The 175 partition is the bullet I used on my big elk.

I haven't messed around much with loads lighter than 160 grains in the 7mm Rem mag, since the heavier bullets have worked so well for me.

Reloader 22 seems to work out very well for me, and has been consistent over the years. I've heard horror stories about it varying widely from lot to lot and about it being temperature sensitive, but personally I've never had a problem with it. Mostly I practice with my .308's, but I do run a couple of hundred rounds through my 7mm mag every year, just because I like it, and I know I can count on it to perform well during hunting season.

Regards, Guy