Help and advice on loads for 223

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
Tempo
.204 Ruger Guns: Savage 12 VLP 204R

Help and advice on loads for 223

Post by Tempo »

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and about to start reloading. I have a Savage 12VLP in 223 with a 1 in 7' twist. Looking for some advice on what loads I should try including power type, primers etc. I used this rifle mainly spotlighting on rabbits, hares and foxes. I live in Australia so I think our power names may vary. I was told 26.0 grms of BM2 power with Federal 205M primers and 50 grain VMAX or Blitzkings would be a good load. Also need seating depth advice. Regards Tempo
Lee C.

Re: Help and advice on loads for 223

Post by Lee C. »

Welcome to the forum Tempo, I've got a older savage 223 that i use a 60gr hornady sp bullet in with a 1-9 twist barrel. The powder i use is H335 in it. But sorry to say i don't have my load book here with me right now. So i can't say how much powder i'm useing or how deep i set the bullet. But this powder and bullet i've used a long time and it's worked pretty good for me. I'm sure some of the other guys will jump in here to help you out soon. Good luck
acloco
.204 Ruger Guns: 12FV, 12BVSS -S

Re: Help and advice on loads for 223

Post by acloco »

You might have to go to a heavier bullet with that one rotation in seven inches of barrel length (1:7). Might spin the bullets to fast and affect accuracy or force the bullet to come apart.

May I suggest 69 gr Nosler or Sierra HPBTs or 75 grain Hornady AMax?

Keep your speed in the 2900-3000 fps range for the 69's and 2850 max for the 75's.