Muzzle brake

Ask questions and share information about reloading.
hozz57

Muzzle brake

Post by hozz57 »

Just some pix of my new muzzle brake on my Remington 700 VS SF .220 Swift, it's a Hollands

Close-up of the device

Don't mind the clutter :oops: (can you find the 30mm A10 rounds :?: )

Here are my 2 varmint rilfes, Rem. .220 swift and my Rem. XR100 .204 Ruger :D
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Rick in Oregon
.204 Ruger Guns: Sako 75V, Cooper MTV, Kimber 84M, Cust M700 11 Twist

Re: Muzzle brake

Post by Rick in Oregon »

hozz: You're going to really like that brake in the field. I've got one of Darrell's Quick Discharge Brakes on my custom .243 Ackley, but mine is his older style (2000). The old ones were excellent, but the new ones like yours are even better.

I can see all my impacts no matter how heavy the bullet, feels like shooting a 22 Mag. Nice with a 243 Ackley or Swift where normally you would NOT see your hits. Enjoy......I know you will!

Here's mine on my custom Holland 243 Ackley:

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Oregon, East of the Cascades - Where Common Sense Still Prevails

hozz57

Post by hozz57 »

I took the swift out to the range today to try it out, and I've got to say that it had less felt recoil than my .204 Ruger. 8)

I was out practicing for the postal shoot so I was able to shoot the .204 just after shooitng the swift. The trigger is still a little heavy (about 2 lbs) but consistent, someday I'll put a Jewell or rifle basics on it.

I like the look of that brake on your .243 AI, looks like a tiger tank getting ready too shoot some HE rounds out at some well bunkered Sod Dogs. :twisted:
The more I learn, the more I see how much I have to learn!
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

hozz: Yep, the pasture poodles hate that rifle! It probably seems like a Tiger tank to them....lobbing 88's into their midst. :lol: The longest shot I ever made on a PD was with that rifle in Montana. I nailed a big fat dog sitting on his mound on the far side of a shallow valley at 843 yards. With the brake I could see him launch about 4' in the air. A Nosler 70gr BT at 3800 fps will do that. ;) I may end up putting one on my Swift too.

My wife took this picture moments prior to that shot:

Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA

Vartarg
.204 Ruger Guns: Ruger 77MkII Target, Remington LVSF

Post by Vartarg »

Rick: nice set up. I see you've got "back up" on your hip in case they charge....tell us about your wheelgun? Best, George
PEACE-Through Superior Firepower
Rick in Oregon

Post by Rick in Oregon »

vartarg: Being an incurable rimfire nut, both rifle and pistol, I always have one on me when in the field, either a revolver or auto. When in the squirrel or PD patch, we always have one handy to "protect the truck" from rodent charges. ;)

That one there is one of my favorites of the revolvers, it's an S&W Mdl 617 K-22 Stainless/Classic 10-shot (with full lug) and Hogue Monogrips. On two PD trips in Montana, it alone accounted for just over 200 dogs. Had it not been along, I'm sure the truck tires wouldl have been shredded! :lol:

Here's Skippy learning how effective it is with WW Power Points:

Even if I have a scoped or red-dot rimfire on the bench, I'll always have an open-sighted handgun on my belt for the portability it offers.

My Ruger MK-I with a Leupold/Gilmore 1 MOA red-dot on the bench (Sako 204 on the bags in the background):

But on the same day, my Kimber 22LR conversion unit was aboard the .45acp frame for a belt gun.

Okay, thread hijack over hozz, sorry for the diversion. Thanks for the kind words, George.
Semper Fortis
Rick in Oregon
NRA Life/OHA/VHA/VVA